Wednesday 14 March 2018

Adam Rippon's Oscars Outfit

Apparently LGBT role models wearing BDSM inspired clothing to the Oscars is ‘activism’ for the LGBT community, and I’m basically Mary Whitehouse for thinking otherwise. 

Not only do I not see Olympic ice skater Adam Rippon wearing a harness/tuxedo outfit as ‘activism’, I see it as actively harmful - he’s chosen to be a role model to kids, (and is financially benefiting from doing so), so for him to use his first major public appearance to wear such a sexually provocative outfit, I think is immensely selfish. And a dangerous thing for any role model to do, gay or straight, male or female.

Was it a publicity stunt? Is he using his identity for fame and fortune?  

According to many conversations I’ve had on Twitter, we’re meant to celebrate the fact that we LGBT people can now publicly express our sexuality and fetishes, as others can. Is this what equality means these days? - the right to contribute to this overly sexualised society as much as everyone else? Hardly something to celebrate, surely.


Some on Twitter even argued with me that people who are into BDSM need to be ‘liberated’. I suppose it’s just a matter of time before those people are free to walk down the high street in their gimp masks etc, and anyone who protests will be labelled a bigot and a prude. Inclusivity, I guess…

No comments:

Post a Comment