Friday 2 February 2018

Hypocritical David Baddiel

I’m trying to comprehend what David Baddiel writes in this article. He criticizes Ken Livingstone for a lack of compassion, (for stating that Hitler supported a Zionist movement, to rid Germany of Jews), and states that he does not support the ‘appalling actions of the current Israeli government’. But then, he goes on to contradict himself and show a complete lack of compassion by saying that he ‘does not care that much about Israel’ - ie he does not care that much about the current persecution of Palestinians. Is this not immense hypocrisy? 

I looked up this article following a recent twitter spat between Jewish comedian, David, and fierce Palestinian rights activist and anti-Zionist, George Galloway, in which George accused David of purposefully smearing anti-Zionists as anti-Semites. Following this, George is now, as he often is, being smeared as an anti-Semite. I don’t know the background here, and what led to this accusation – perhaps it is the aforementioned article, in which David states that many anti-Semites do use anti-Zionism as a cover. I’m sure there is truth in this, but there is also a hell of a lot of truth in the allegation that many Zionists seek to conflate the two, in order to prevent any criticism of the Israeli regime, and indeed of Zionism in general. It's a pity David couldn't have mentioned this in his article as well. 

The actions of the Israeli regime obviously do not represent the values and desires of all Jewish people, however much some Zionists say they do. But is it necessarily anti-Semitic to suggest that Jewish people should speak out against these actions? Is it anti-Semetic to request that they don’t seek to fuel this current agenda to conflate anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism? Perhaps it is insensitive, but anti-Semitism seems a leap. (Either way, as I explain later, George’s criticism has nothing to do with David being Jewish). 

If an ‘LGBT country’ had been created by imperial powers, ostensibly to give all persecuted LGBTs a homeland, and this country was created via ethnic cleansing that continues to this day, would I, as a gay man, feel a duty to speak out about it? I’m almost certain that I would, but if I didn’t, and people criticized me for it, would I assume that they were homophobic for doing so? I’m not sure, but either way, I’d like to think that I would still absorb the criticism, and become more conscious of the persecution, and seek to show my solidarity with the oppressed. I’d like to think that I’d become horrified at those who claim to represent the oppressed, becoming the oppressor of another people. I imagine that I’d become nervous about it fuelling another era of, reactionary, oppression towards LGBTs.

Whether or not the people criticizing me were homophobes, I like to think that I would offer more than indifference to what is a clear case of occupation and persecution.

This seems to be what David is offended by. He feels that those who assume he should speak out against the persecution, just because he is Jewish, are being anti-Semitic. Why should he have to speak out against the crimes of a colonial movement, just because those in this movement profess to represent the desires of he and his ancestors?

Is it the same as demanding that all Muslims speak out against ISIS, whom profess to represent all Islam? (This, I find repulsive, given that ISIS, and their campaign of terror, is undoubtedly blowback, following decades of imperial plunder of the Middle East. Thus, it is beyond sick for westerners to demand this from Muslims, having just played a part in destroying the lands of their families and ancestors).

I do agree with David - his Jewish heritage does not mean that he should be expected to speak out about this more than anyone else. But, he chose to enter this arena, by writing that article. He is now a player in this agenda to conflate anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism. And the fact that he is Jewish celebrity does undoubtably give what he has to say on the matter more impetus. But his Jewishness is NOT the reason that George, and others, are criticizing him. He faces criticism purely for pushing this ‘anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism’ agenda, and for showing a hypocritical lack of compassion. As he states in his article, he cares deeply about anti-Semitism, but not so much about Israel’s destruction of Palestine.




No comments:

Post a Comment